Old 07-24-19, 09:58 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Bike J, I get exactly where you're at. In my case, the original owner wasnt sure if the frame had been faced, but I suspect it had been when I took it apart, going from the look of the surfaces, and so took the chance and left it as is. I imagine the BB sides must be well parallel , given the BB life so far (although lets be fair, BB life can depend on how beefy a rider is, Im not, I spin and dont lug, also Ive not ridden in mud and crap hardly at all, and not even much in rain, and not in rain on dirt roads , so a lot less debris and stuff being exposed to the BB)

your question is completely reasonable, and unless you have a good relationship with known mechanics that you can trust, I would get it faced and spend the 35 or 40 bucks and then just forget about spending the money, cuz then its done.
Again, my outboard bb experience is pertty limited, but if proper facing means proper alignment and even loads on external bearings, then its worth it.
I had no idea how Hollowtech BBs would last, having had nearly 20,000kms life out of good square tapers, UN-55 level stuff, but so far Im happy with how the trolls hollowtech 2 has lasted, and have a spare BB on hand.
I figure I should open it up again, clean and regrease everything, partly to see how clean the phils green grease is that I used when I reassembled it.

also, I imagine proper installation torque, and most importantly, proper preload amount that puts the pressure on the actual bearings, is also super important to bearing life.

also, re frame saver, I thought I had read that newer surly frames had this done, but I could be wrong. In any case, if it isnt done, now that the frame is naked, its the time to do it, easy and just a bit messy. I got a small can of that frame saver stuff, pressurized one, brand I cant recall. Another 10 bucks or whatever well spent for the long run.

finally, so whats the plan with the ogre? Trip plans, dream trips? Or just dreams at this point?