Old 07-25-19, 12:57 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
but if proper facing means proper alignment and even loads on external bearings, then its worth it.
Thinking the same thing.

I had no idea how Hollowtech BBs would last, having had nearly 20,000kms life out of good square tapers, UN-55 level stuff, but so far Im happy with how the trolls hollowtech 2 has lasted, and have a spare BB on hand. I figure I should open it up again, clean and regrease everything, partly to see how clean the phils green grease is that I used when I reassembled it.
That's actually really good stuff to hear. I have been trying to be practical where I can, and quite comfortable with the parts I have selected based on what many of you have said over the years. I have been speed reading for a while. I actually know what many of you think already In many ways, I also think like many of you now.

also, I imagine proper installation torque, and most importantly,
I did my last BB without torquing it, and from majority of the videos I watched on it, majority of them did it hand tight. Nobody seemed neurotic about torque there from what I have seen. How important is it? Anyone wants to add to it, educate away please.

proper preload amount that puts the pressure on the actual bearings, is also super important to bearing life.
I honestly don't know what this means exactly. "preload amount"? Explain please. Thanks

also, re frame saver, I thought I had read that newer surly frames had this done, but I could be wrong. In any case, if it isnt done, now that the frame is naked, its the time to do it, easy and just a bit messy. I got a small can of that frame saver stuff, pressurized one, brand I cant recall. Another 10 bucks or whatever well spent for the long run.
Put a link in another thread asking about which type is best. Suggestion? Yes, I just read somewhere that Surly does do it at the factory, but that it "also" suggested to do it again anyway.

finally, so whats the plan with the ogre?
Back country Colorado, upper north/west, and then the rest of the world I hope.

Or just dreams at this point?
Dreams or reality? A little of both I guess at this point.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 07-25-19 at 07:48 AM.