Old 05-22-20, 11:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
What to do if flat occurs while your bike is in moving speed?
Apply the brakes and come to a stop. A flat, in most cases, is relatively slow. I hit a piece of glass recently and could hear the air escaping as the tire rolled. It went “phfitz”, “phfitz” each time the puncture hit the road. It was a fast leak and took only about 2 minutes to go flat. In my experience, flats take a lot longer than that.

Originally Posted by Oneder
That's ridiculous nonsense. Usually your posts are much better than this. You 'usually' was probably that way because you weren't using such garbage tires with such wide beads. I thought it was unusual they were wide but I did not realize it was so dangerous until I saw what happens when you have a blowout going downhill.
I have lots of aramid bead tires (folding bead) that I can take off without tools...most of them on 26” mountain bikes...and I’ve never had one come off during a flat. I’ve even flatted on hard landings and never had the tire come off the rim before I could get the bike stopped. A blowout can be a different animal but blowouts can have several causes. They are usually a fault in the installation of the tire or due to over inflation. I’ve blow out tubes when a brake rubbed a hole in the tire. But when it comes to a fault in the installation or over inflation, the tire usually doesn’t make it to the road. Holes rubbed in the tire can go down fast but they don’t blow off the rim.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!