Old 08-09-20, 12:16 PM
Schweinreiter

Bikes: Scruffy old Nishiki and a crappy new Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait; you're supposed to BUY THEM?

The last half dozen I picked up were orphaned at our town recycling center. IOW, free. They were stashed in barns and garages around the Ranch until I got inspired enough to work on them. That inspiration finally struck after I got tired of looking at the matched set of red Chicago Schwinn Suburbans. A mixte and a regular, both too damn tall, but too damn tempting not to rebuild. So they're scruffy and showing their age, but done. It cost me hours, tires, rim strips, and brake pads.

They both have the underrated but cool FFS and Positron rear derailleurs. Try figuring out why the rear chainwheel cluster won't turn when you've never seen one of these. 😏 Decent paint, worn decals, marginally presentable fenders and alloy "Schwinn Approved" rear carriers. More springs than I've ever seen in a saddle. Two big coils at the back and a half dozen longitudinal ones make it remarkably cushy. With the upright touristy bars, it's a great ride, even though too tall for me. So I don't stop unless absolutely necessary. 😄

Pics when I grow up.