View Single Post
Old 06-01-19, 12:23 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Trocadile
Just about perfect conditions this morning. Took my minivelo on an old reliable loop through Weston, Waltham, Lincoln, Wayland, and Sudbury (bridge at Wayland-Sudbury line pictured).

As I was finishing up, coming into Weston Center, I looked down from Concord Rd. and saw the MCRT-Wayside trail which I've never been on. Gave it a spin and - damn - if you like your pavement smooth and straight and lightly used (even on a gorgeous Saturday morning), there's nothing else quite like it around here.
Originally Posted by rholland1951
They paved it!?! That's wonderful! Never thought Weston would get around to that...

rod
Thanks for that post Trocadile. I have never heard of that trail. Do you or rholland1951 have any other information, like access points and road surfaces, especially paved segments.

Waltham / Weston for me from Kenmore Square is a gateway to gorgeous sub- and exurban cycling, but Rte 20 is a deterrent, as described on this recent thread, "Winding Country Road or 50 mph Highway with Shoulder?”
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
least favorite section of my old commute (2009-10) on Route 20, Wayland, MA. (aka Boston Post Rd between Concord Rd & Landham Rd) I affectionately nicknamed "a kill zone". I was always so glad to get to the turnoff after the descent.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Funny, I just road that stretch of 20 through Wayland for the first time going from Marlborough to Watertown last Saturday, and I didn't think it was that bad, but like you say, it wasn't at rush hour on a weekday.

I usually go a little out of my way to take 117 for the same leg of a century, but 20 was definitely faster for me.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I had asked jppe [on the final leg of his cross-country ride from Oregon on Rte 20] if he wanted to continue his journey all the way down Rte 20, but I recommended the [alternative] itinerary described above.
The best segment of a favorite favorite ride of mine does begin on Rte 20.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FYA, a particularly preferred route from the Western to Metrowest sectors is Rice Rd in Wayland that starts at Rte 20 (as Pinebrook Rd), and proceeds through some exurban farmland, then crosses Rte 30 as Oak St in Natick, mostly residential. Then cross Rte 9 at a traffic light through some more suburban residential; turn left at Bacon St until it ends at Rte 135 (Central St) in Wellesley.

A very short distance from Bacon to the left (West) is the quiet, beautiful forested Pond St that goes to Rte 16, a busy but residential road, then on to South Natick, Sherborn and Dover. A particularly favorite ride of mine.
PS: For some reason today the MENTION function of the BB codes blanks out the name rather than MENTIONING it.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-01-19 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added PS