Old 06-05-19, 10:47 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Took the LHT on a 28-mile circuit through Arlington, Lexington, Bedford, Concord, and Lincoln, following the Minuteman and Reformatory Branch outbound, returning via Monument Street, Lexington Road (Concord), Old Bedford Road (Concord), Virginia Road, Old Bedford Road (Lincoln), Hanscom Drive, Route 2A, Mill Street, Lexington Road (Lincoln), Lincoln Street (Lexington), Middle Street, Marrett Road, Mass. Ave., Maple Street, and then the Minuteman and home. I didn't start until 4:30, and focused on the riding, making good time as the bicycle worked its magic, translating pedal strokes into a succession of distinct places. Lovely day, milky sky, the temperature benignly balanced between warm and cool, enough breeze to notice, lots of other cyclists. Numerous photographs didn't get taken (with two exceptions, below), in favor of making time, and just drifted by as vagrant sense impressions that must be conveyed by word-pictures, or not at all. Of these, the best was the fisher that scampered across the Kiln Brook bridge on the Minuteman at Tophet Swamp, a beautiful animal that nimbly crossed the bridge on its lower rail, and disappeared.

Hanscom Field, seen from Virginia Road. I'm a 20th Century kid at heart, and have a soft spot in my head for aircraft of any sort.

The mudflats of Cambridge Reservoir, tastefully concealed by enough drinking water to horrify W.C. Fields.

rod
Ha! Good places to ride, aren't they? I took pictures of the same spots on this past foggy Sunday morning

Originally Posted by rholland1951
It's towards the east end of the Mystic River State Reservation park in Medford, on one of the several tracks marked "River Path" on the Google map, a bit before you reach the Fellsway. Here's a bit of the map, with a somewhat-too-discreet pin marking the approximate location of the birch grove, at least in my memory.

The DeCordova Sculpture Park is everything on the DeCordova grounds that isn't under a roof.

rod
Thanks. I always thought of going that way but the traffic always made it seem like it wasn't worth it. I've also been by DeCordova a million times but never on the grounds.