View Single Post
Old 08-14-19, 11:15 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 890 Posts
Got out on the Trucker DeLuxe for what was in effect a do-over of the ride to Boston that got rained out last week. The destination was Castle Island via a roundabout route that took me down the Cambridge side of the Charles on the way there, across the locks, through bits of the North End and the Rose Kennedy Greenway and on through the Seaport District and South Boston; the return was via the South Station neighborhood, Chinatown, Downtown Crossing, the Common, Beacon Street, the Esplanade and on up the Charles on the Boston side, crossing back to Cambridge on the foot bridge. The whole thing was more or less spontaneous, with lots of improvised route picking and a certain number of space-filling curves through parks (and around a few that were closed for repairs). The whole thing took about 25 miles, but somehow I managed not to get a track, and had to reconstruct my course by playing some games with Google Maps. I managed to time things so that I hit neither the morning nor the afternoon rush hours.

Cambridge: Eat the rich.

Cambridge: Eat the geese.

Cambridge: Approaching the Harvard Bridge.

Cambridge: UJB as seen by Salvador Dali; note that the U-Lock continues to protect the frame.

Cambridge: Fast times at the Skatepark.

Boston: A cloudy day at the Locks.

Boston: Thank God for the Fish Pier, a fixed point among all the changes.

Castle Island: Dining al fresco at Sullivan's, with a nice view of the Conley Container Terminal.

Castle Island: No bikes or dog poop (an interesting equivalence class).

South Boston: Southie still resembles itself, in part.

One of the reasons I picked Castle Island as a destination was to see if the no-bikes policy was still in effect. I didn't test the enforcement of that, but will ask around a bit. I was last there in the early 70's, on a Raleigh 3-speed, and it was a lovely place to ride at the time. It's also a gateway to points further South, so perhaps I'll be back regardless. In any event, the lobster roll from Sullivan's easily justified the pedaling.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-14-19 at 11:20 PM.