View Single Post
Old 11-27-19, 06:50 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
I took off across the street and up the trail. I passed behind where the old Bike Shop stood for decades before the Millenials made them close. I pedaled up to the center of town and tried to re-create the difficulty that another member had with crossing the intersection. I failed to do so, crossed without trouble and went back to my journey. The church in the town center was chiming so I took a picture of it to share the moment with you all.

My wife went to girl scouts here as a child and even knows someone who fell through the roof (under what circumstances is somewhat unclear).
I don’t know what the fascination is with church roofs and bell towers with youths, but it’s nearly universal(ist, or is it unitarian?) that if there is an unsecured access, someone will explore. (Though Disney’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame does a good job of catching the joy, if not the danger.)

In Eastern Mass you can pretty much use the UU and UCC churches as waypoints while out riding. The minister’s roads which connect them are now paved, and sometimes stroaded though. Many of the old churches (like this one) were also town halls, and if you’ve ever wondered why some are nicknamed “the new church” it is because it’s the second (or third, or...) meetinghouse, the earlier churches having been lost to fire.

p.s. That’s some great “internet” cycling.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-04-19 at 02:01 PM.
Likes For mr_bill: