View Single Post
Old 03-17-20, 09:20 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 853 Posts
I like the look of these old Raleighs, even as both of my own GS bikes (made a couple of years apart) feature some really bad frame craftsmanship.

I always liked the look of the cranks on these bikes, the Nervar is technically better because the guard disc doesn't push the right crankarm way out like the model 93's does.

This one was perhaps only the fourth vintage bike that I ever resurrected (out of hundreds by now). I still remember riding it into work and showing it off, looking like new and sporting a stealthy "Ultra-6" type freewheel that I made from a Dura-Ace 7s freewheel (I had to seal off the outer bearing with an O-ring since I left off the smallest, externally-threaded cog). It had a poorly-aligned fork that required two aspects of correction to both center the tire under the crown and make the bike ride straight.

Last edited by dddd; 03-17-20 at 09:24 PM.