View Single Post
Old 05-03-18, 09:38 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
One way to make removing a freewheel easy is to clamp the removal tool in a vise. Then you set the wheel over it and rotate the wheel counter clockwise. Works every time. Using the skewer to hold the tool on the freewheel loosely, just rotate the wheel enough to break the bond , then remove the skewer and replace the tool in the vise and spin the wheel off the freewheel.

when I first started , I had a removal tool with 2 fairly thin ears that bent and wore quickly. I purchased (on amazon) a Park removal tool that had much beefier ears. Using the vise and skewer method I have never had a problem since and the bikes we get at the Bike Exchange have often been neglected for decades.

I have a number of Suntour freewheels and they are very robust. For ease of shifting on a non indexed bike a new Shimano hyperglide unit with a new chain and shift cable and cover is the slick trick.