View Single Post
Old 01-01-19, 05:33 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
OK I came by the gumption to read your rather long and boring article and if anything it supports my argument that the car companies have sobered up about how hard it will REALLY be to produce autonomous vehicles. Nothing in the article supports the idea that they're backing off to intentionally slow progress. What it basically says is that they have not given up because the profit potential is huge but they're also not moving quickly because the problem is very difficult and will take years to solve.

For example this quote sounds kind of like what I've been claiming today...

That nor anything else in the article implies any intent to slow progress because their interest in driverless is not genuine as you imply. In fact it basically says car companies want driverless BAD but they're starting to realize that the "final mile" to truly autonomous is going to be a difficult and time consuming goal with implementation nor cost recovery and profits anywhere in the near future.

If you think this article or ANYTHING AT ALL ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET supports your claim then quote something instead of just paste a URL with rambling discussion that has nothing to do with your statements.
I don't need to quote anything that supports my claim. All I am doing is pointing out that the most effective way to discourage people from hoping for change and progress is to tell them you're working on it but it's going to take a long time. If you tell them you're actively working to postpone it as long as possible because you're afraid you'll lose income when it happens, that would give them something to criticize you for. If you want to avoid criticism, you tell them you're working on it and when they complain that it's going too slow, you tell them it's not your fault it's the just the nature of the technological and legal hurdles that the process is very slow.

There's another article about D.C. having the most ambitious energy reform policy currently and when you read what it is, it's a 20 year plan that can easily be changed a lot within the 20 years it will take to achieve it. To me it seems very clear: people want the call for climate action and other change to back off, so they want to give people the idea that progress is being made but it will take time. It's a classic pacification strategy.