Old 08-20-19, 10:49 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
If anything, our experience is more dramatic. The rides that cost $20 forever are now charging $60. A few newcomers (Hincapie Fondo and others) are charging $225 and up. (Tulsa Tough's fondos are ridiculously expensive for what are basically midling group rides on run-of-the-mill roads.) But a LOT of the former rides and races have died in Middle Tennessee. Last year, two "pay" rides died. This year, I can count seven long-time events (six rides and a triathlon) that have been cancelled. A couple major rides in Georgia went away because law enforcement is no longer willing to facilitate a major ride. They don't want you there.

I have to acknowledge that I'm another one that usually rides centuries and metrics on my own time. I don't feel I get anything from being a part of most organized rides. A "pay" ride has to have some special appeal to get me to sign up. If I ride one, unless it is extremely hot during the ride, I ride them non-stop and without support, anyway. And most post-ride meals are pretty disappointing.
This is me I normally never pay to ride unless something very special or a cause I am really for. From what I can see around these parts a ride in the surrounding roads for say 50-100 miles is at least $35 but sometime more closer to Chicago they go up much more. I just cannot see in added an expense to ride. I can go out the door and be going then done. For me it is just simplicity although the company can be fun. I am retired and I have to what the money close. I also find that I really do not need sag support and carry my own food. I typically like to go and ride without stops and I just do not see the events as anything special. I am sure if I live in another area where it was different scenery it might matter. All there is around here for miles and miles and miles is corn and beans...……..flats for sure.

For the same reason I quite running road races. I not getting any faster and why pay to do what is basically cheap an easy. If I need competition I can go to the track and see if I have any speed...…...no.