Old 03-02-21, 02:05 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
My will to live is as strong as anyone’s. I use my eyes and ears to determine if it’s safe to turn. I don’t live in an area with bike lanes. I ride where the traffic is intermittent and moving @ 55mph or better, on two-lane winding roads. Be predictable, follow the rules of the road. When it’s time to turn onto a different road I rotate my head and actually look to see if there are any cars, log trucks, motorcycles or giant RVs closing on me. It works.

If I was riding on city streets I would keep my head on a swivel and my ears in operation to stay alive. I would not be scanning a set of eleven mini mirrors bolted all over my bike. I would turn my head and look. Why? Because a direct view of traffic works..
I'm 76. My neck doesn't swivel like it did when I was younger. I have one mirror on each bike, not eleven (hyperbole much?). When I'm making that regular left turn off a 65 mph highway to get to my gravel routes, I stop and look behind before crossing traffic.

So my rule is don't criticize others for what they do attempting to be safe and responsible cyclists.
Likes For Inusuit: