Old 02-15-17, 02:07 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Vortac180
FastJake, that front derailleur is not the original. The left stopped shifting a few years ago, and the LBS replaced the original FD with this one. It works, but it always kind of bugged me that they just assumed I'd want the cheapest possible repair. What are some other usual common upgrades? I'm interested. I've already changed the saddle, grips, fork, bars and post--there is not one thing I'd do different, and I did it myself . I'm keeping the wheels, they're true and not worn out. I can't imagine changing the brakes, as these look nice and work well. The crank is the obvious next upgrade, in my mind. Oh, someone told me better cable housings are possible. How are those better?

This bike has no monetary value to me, other than a simple machine upon which to apply my imagination.

Best Regards,
Geoff
What do you use the bike for? Off-road mountain biking? Commuting or paved riding?

Your list is good and makes sense. Tires would be number one on my list, of the things you haven't changed. Good tires will make a huge difference in how the bike rides, feels, and your speed.

Personally I'd get some sweet XTR pedals before the XTR crank. Nice pedals feel great to click your feet into. And some nice shoes if you don't like the ones you have now.

Kool Stop brake pads if you don't already have those.

I don't know what fork you put on. But as far as suspension forks go, high end ones are (usually) WAY better than low end or even mid-level ones. Unfortunately it's difficult finding a decent 26" V-brake fork these days.

Keeping the wheels for now makes sense. Down the line if you're feeling adventurous, build your own set of wheels. It's incredibly rewarding and I'm sure you'd appreciate the process if you enjoy customizing your bike.

Last edited by FastJake; 02-15-17 at 02:12 PM.