Old 08-20-19, 02:37 PM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My daughter has this crazy idea of doing a cross country self supported tour by herself. I have tried to talk some sense into her, but she is as stubborn as a horse. The only thing I could come up with to ensure some semblance of safety is to use routes provided by Adventure cycling as they are known to be cyclist friendly. Not a guarantee of avoiding trouble, especially as a single 25 year old female. Any ideas on safe routes or something like that?

I'm sorry, but describing a solo self supported cross country bike tour as "crazy" in the bike touring forum is an ..... interesting tack to take.

When you say avoiding trouble, do you have specific "trouble" you are thinking of? Are you worried about traffic? Or something else?

When you use the phrase "some semblance of safety" I can't help but think that the fears are yours, not your daughter's.

There's no shortage of solo women doing tours. CGOAB has a category devoted to it; https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...octype=journal

I can't give any advice on routes, but I can offer advice to talk to your daughter, explain the potential dangers as you see them, then do everything you can to support her.

If traffic is really the worry, send her to Europe. Loads of traffic free touring here.
Likes For HobbesOnTour: