Old 07-18-18, 07:54 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
I miss Matt's commentary on GCN.

I use Strava to see where I stand speed wise. I find thread like this pointless because the terrain could be so differently and then throw in the everyone is faster on the internet phenomenon. Strava segments are comparing the same conditions other than weather changes with the wind, but if you compare for just the day, that will keep it somewhat even.

I on average have two easy recovery day's for every hammer fest and the recovery days average about 4-5 mph slower than a hammer day. Although I might average slower on a hammer day than a recovery day if I am riding the foothill and mountain climbs for the hammer day and riding the Colorado flat areas for the recovery ride. So what number would I put in? If I say the "average number", it is going to be significantly slower than a ride where I am putting even a little effort in on. Compare that to another rider who takes a rest day instead of a recovery ride day. Not riding is not lowering his or her overall average speed like riding and taking it super easy for recovery. Seeing how I commute to work five days during the week when I don't have time to ride long rides, I rarely take weekends off when I can take advantage of getting longer rides on. Therefore, I pretty much end up riding 7 days a week. So the only times I get for recovery are during commute rides where I am going super easy, which lowers the average speed.