Old 08-07-15, 08:33 AM
electroplater

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 4, Peugeot, Schwinn Volare, Diamondback Insight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
... So what influences what you choose to ride? Is it all about function vs cost, or are there other factors?

Cost was the biggest influence for my commuter bike, I was more interested being able to absorb the cost of it being stolen or vandalized. I work 3rd shift in a factory, so I have to lock it up outside of the guardshack on a 1970's era bicycle rack where I cannot keep an eye on it.

Found this lightly scratched but new Diamondback Insight for $250 at the local Bargain Hunt store, more or less a store that sells returned merchandise. I added a rear rack, fenders, shimano SPD pedals. Added some Continental Contact tires the other day. I can fit a pair of jeans, t-shirt, a small lunch, lock and cable in the trunk bag. I bought a pair of Shimano CT-40 shoes so I can walk on smooth concrete to the locker room and change into working clothes. I have a headlight, tail light and an extra mount for my Garmin unit to switch between bikes. I'll like the triple cranks when the pedestrian overpass is completed.

My commute is just 3.5 miles of city streets. Riding at night is not as bad as I thought it would be, but I've only commuted 6 times so far.