Old 03-26-19, 12:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I don't think anyone leaped out in front of the others, but Fuji did something very smart, which was to introduce its top models before the others. That gave the name prestige. As @repechage says, it depends on locale. I lived in NYC and spent a lot of time in Boston. I believe Fujis were imported by a Boston company.

I started working at a bike shop in NYC in 1978. At the bottom end of "good bikes," we pushed the Peugeot UO-8, UO-9, and UO-10 and some Raleigh bikes. If you wanted something above that, we recommended the Fuji S10-S. We had some Panasonic bikes, too. For us, the Fuji bikes had the lowest defect rate of any brand, by far. They were a joy to assemble. The Raleighs and Peugeots often had problems. NYC is an unusual place where brand loyalty matters less than elsewhere. We didn't have to carry Schwinn. Some people thought that a Panasonic bicycle was weird, but when we assured them that they were very high quality, they took our word for it, and rightly so.

In the 70s and 80s, in every industry that Japan was in, they didn't try to make the very finest product. Their strategy was to give the finest product at a given price point. And it was an excellent strategy. This is probably why Nikon cameras were regarded so well.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: