View Single Post
Old 10-16-20, 08:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
This winter, I am going to be getting my bike re-painted, want a different color and have some corrosion that needs attention. It is going to be sprayed with Cerakote. I am also going to be doing a complete drivetrain upgrade in the spring. With this, I will be leaving behind the square taper BB. As a result, from my research, this needs the BB shell chased and faced. Should I have this done before or after paint? If it helps, the coater I use won't have any issue masking off the face for media blast and paint.

Side question related to this upgrade path. If I want to install a 9 speed Tiagra cassette, circa mid 2000s, what am I going to need for spacers on an 11 speed freehub body.
Always do these things after its been painted/coated because that is when the threads will need to be potentially chased and the head tube and bottom bracket will need to be faced. When paint is on the threads, bolts dont secure easily/well. When paint is on what needs to be parallel and flat surfaces, they arent parallel or flat.
It doesnt hurt to do these things before painting too, but they are presumably already in good condition before painting so they shouldnt really do much.

Im curious what you have on the bike now and what specifically you are upgrading to as 9sp mid 2000s Tiagra is multiple generations old at this point. It works great, one of my kids has a mix of 9sp Tiagra and 105 on her road bike and its dead solid, but its quite old to usually be called an upgrade.