View Single Post
Old 11-14-11, 10:54 AM
PaPa

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hailey, Idaho, sometime between 1958-9. Dog-eared and well used, and I don't even remember where or who I acquired it from. We moved to Buhl three years later, and it was there, that I decided to dissect and attempt a welfare overhaul. My precious allowance was just enough to repack the bearings, buy one tire and a pair of tubes. Parts were scattered everywhere when I left for school the next day, and i was deeply submerged in planning reassembly during class.

When I exited the bus that day, I immediately noticed something amiss - "Damn!"... the frame and BOTH fenders were missing. I dropped my books and ran... looking everywhere. I couldn't shake the cold chills down my spine, this was much worse than a bad nightmare because I suspected the worst. As a last resort, I peeked over the neighbor's fence in the back yard, and there they were... "MY PARTS!"... precariously dangling from a clothes line and glowing in the brightest shade of fresh blue paint imaginable. "What the?..." The perpetrator had even duplicated the Schwinn pin-striping.

Shelley Howard was his name, a professional painter about dad's age, and with heart of solid gold. With his guidance we reassembled my pride'n joy. I wasn't much help because I was trembling the whole time. Six months later, the bike disappeared from my back yard... never to be seen again.

The years passed and numerous bikes passed between my legs - perhaps 10 more over the following 12 years. The only dry spell was during the late 60's, when Uncle Sam forced me into active duty. Once back in 'civies' in 1970, I resumed riding. However, by this time, an early, bike related whiplash injury began raring it's ugly head. I quickly realized that I couldn't ride more than 10 miles without experiencing neck & shoulder discomfort - this was not good! As professional wrench, I had a full toolbox and 2 welding certificates under my belt - the solution was self evident...

An active 'Greenie' I am not... but a persistent, 5'6" cyclist who has never experienced the north side of 148 pounds. Life is good.

Last edited by PaPa; 11-14-11 at 11:03 AM.