View Single Post
Old 08-24-19, 05:28 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I wouldn't "try" this out on a crank I wanted or valued. I'd do it (practice) on something else-

Then again- I wouldn't do this to a crank- first- I don't know what I'm doing. Second- I don't know how much tolerance the alloy has- even if all the drilling is perfect- I think the Super Custom lived at the lower end of the SR range and I don't know what that means as far as metallurgy and forging and quality. Third- I don't know if by drilling you're introducing cracks or stress risers that could fail catastrophically and suddenly.

SR made a Super Custom triple with an 86 BCD- I had one on my Trek 420. It's the same BCD as the Stronglight 99 crankset.
i'm confident with my skill level. i've done enough drilling and tapping on engines and many other things. i'm just looking for procedural input. but, thank you for your concerns

lower end? i wouldn't say that at all! a lot of really high quality bikes came out with them. as well, it's a high quality alloy when you do some reading on them. super nice cranks, i think. polished up they resemble any of the "echelon" components of the day. it's just too bad they had this funky bcd...lol
i have considered finding an 86 bcd and it'd be convenient, but 28t is the smallest ring you can use. plus, i have this thing about trying to use what i have