View Single Post
Old 08-24-19, 11:01 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
and @52telecaster i've never used an indexing head in anything i've done, but i think needing one here might be unnecessary

Originally Posted by old's'cool
Indeed. Only a knowledgeable machinist understands what is entailed to get a good result with high probability. Then there is the question of whether there is sufficient meat in the spider to allow the required material removal while preserving adequate strength.
i understand.... the crank and targeted spots for drilling would need to be flush to a horizontal surface (drill table) to be made plum to the vertical plane of the drill travel. i've come up with a couple of ways in my head to maybe be able to do that. it's a little involved and i'd have to experiment certainly with like a scrap disk of some sort to make sure i get distance and planar relationships accurate enough. tomorrow, when i have a little more time, i'll try to explain. not too complicated, but i haven't worked out all details, either. essentially, though, the crank would become it's own indexing head utilizing a bottom bracket installed into a shell cut from a scrap from and secured to some plate metal acting as a the table.