View Single Post
Old 11-12-19, 10:28 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I don't think it's an ego thing, at least not at the heart of it. I do about 100 group rides per year, 1000 group rides in 10 years. I started with this club in 1989 when I was 35. People age out and younger people come in. If the ride isn't organized with specific rules what happens is whoever is feeling good will go to the front and hammer. Those who can keep up, suck wheel, or trade pulls will dictate the pace. People like me get dropped. It's not personal, it's the nature of fast group rides.
I am friends with some of the fastest people out there. They wait for me most of the time (eventually). Nobody "resents" my pace. If they do, they can go off by themselves or speak up.
Yea, me too. I don't think it's so much ego as it is that people ride at a pace that they are most comfortable with ... dictated by the combination of their ability and desire to ride hard.

We ride with some seriously fast people, and they either wait for us at the top of the climb, or just go off and do their own thing. The slower people just give most of us a chance to rest, grab some food or catch up. It's all good.