Old 05-18-20, 01:08 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
It's much safer in europe because the roads are much different and drivers much different. There's been more than one rider who has gone all across every continent then came to ride or walk across america and whoops now they are dead. I have never seen that for people who decided to ride across africa or europe.

The studies are pure nonsense because it would cost billions to follow people and see how many people really ride in what way and where they do it and what the results are. They have similar but smaller studies for diet and they spend literally hundreds of millions on completely one single study.
I biked in Paris and many cities in Europe last year on a self contained tour from Florence to Paris. There is no doubt the motorists have more respect for cyclists. At the same time, Paris is not much different than many places in the USA. I have also biked in all 50 States.

As for Africa, I commuted by bike in RSA for 2 years. One of a few on a bike commuting in town. Most motorists have not been trained to share the road. And, there were no road markings. There were some motorists who did not understand passing a bicycle. But, all in all, I followed the recommendations from the League and others and had a successful riding experience. In thousands of miles, I have never been hit by a car or had to bail out. I have fallen once on black ice. And, my wife has fallen twice both caused by hitting an uneven part of the road. I think it is 80% good road management and 20% luck. I would say the same thing as a motorist.