spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
Instead your added quote
1. my added comment was plain text – no quote tags were used.
2. it's common practice on bike forums to simply use the "quote function" to continue a conversation.

since this bothers you I will make an effort to quote you more selectively:

whatever risks we individually feel we may face
I don't know whether taking the lane on a 25 mph arterial tends to be on average less risky than riding on the right. Cycling is a safe mode of transport and there is little actual evidence one way or another suggesting that any particular cycling style is less risky than another. IMO, we spend far too much time discussing the supposed risks of cycling (or cycling styles) and not enough time discussing how to combat the stereotype of the cyclist as daredevil (or crazy other).

So, if as a fellow bike rider you don't know what I mean when I say we are at higher risk when we are more exposed to automobiles I don't know what else I can say or do to convince you but it's just how I feel.
And I don't believe that taking the full lane instead of the right side tire track makes one less exposed to motorvehicles. Both positions are equally exposed to same direction traffic.

And since statistically most cyclist fatalities and serious injuries involve collisions with automobiles I'd say theres plenty of evidence I'm correct.
And many of those collisions occur at intersections where being more exposed may reduce risk.