Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by dreamingant
sorry for my ignorance, but was is "jersey flap?" and how did you deduce that ".91 * MHR is a good starting guess for LTHR?"

i concur. altho mentally, my exhaustion on the trainer far exceeds that on the road e.g. what should be a normal aerobic ride on my trainer feels like a hard tempo workout mentally.
Valygrl has explained about the jersey flap. Not all jerseys are the same this way, BTW. Some are worse than others. Fabric, I think. Sometimes that happens when your skin dries out, too. A little saliva usually fixes it.

The LTHR estimation is from my experience with myself and other cyclists over many years. If you're well-trained, that'll be as close as it needs to be, at least until you get it sorted on the road. I've never seen a higher percentage than .92, though some people are as low as .88, but that's usually a lack of specific training.

I understand about the trainer. I think it's because we pedal without a let up. We always get a little let up on the road. After 1.5 hrs of Z2, my legs are usually starting to hurt pretty bad, which is silly because I'll average that or higher on a long ride.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 12-11-10 at 01:35 PM.