View Single Post
Old 12-05-19, 06:17 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Are the Metro Bostonians aware of this locally inspired brouhaha that has gone viral?
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Made the Boston Globe (Yeah, you might not be able to get past the paywall, don't worry about it. Not much to see here other than what's reported everywhere.)

Except the very weak "local" angle is that she is "Grace from Boston." (No relation to @Jim from Boston.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have been reading this thread, but with no intention to reply. But thanks @mr_bill for the nod, and for the reference to the Boston Globe. My wife does subscribe, and now have to read it though no relation to Grace from Boston.

Indeed, I’m surprised that such a seemingly un-PC ad would be launched in our People’s Republic though there is a Peleton store in the Prudential Center in tony Back Bay… A woman professional in our organization, seemingly independent and “liberated” has in the past highly touted her Peleton to me.

My wife and I were active cycling tourists in the 70s and 80s…I cycle commute and she rides the Charles River Bikepath and regularly works out, usually at Healthworks (a gym for Women)....

On occasion when asked what I'm buying my wife for special occasion, I reply, “a lovely ironing board cover.” [Just Kidding]
Originally Posted by Maelochs
That would be the definition and perfect example of sexism .... I hope she doesn't ride a Peloton there .
Originally Posted by livedarklions
My sense watching the ad is the problem isn't really the storyline, it's her performance.

There's something creepy about her excessive displays of excitement and gratitude, and I think women are finding that portrayal extremely condescending.
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Trying to reflect a typical relationship in an advertisement is only ever going to end badly.
I finally watched the ad and I too thought the performance was over the top but probably typical of Madison Avenue. As I noted above though, my (female) colleague gushed about her Peleton.

The only suggestions I noticed of a Boston locale were the outdoor scenes in the background appropriate to Boston’s climate, namely Winter and Fall.

Maybe an image of a “strong” woman would be of a year round outdoor cyclist.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here.

Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in.