View Single Post
Old 07-16-20, 08:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
JPPE: Where'd you park? Where'd you spend the night? I live in Atlanta and I'd like to do an overnight on the trail. A little concerned about staying in a hotel in Covid Times, though.
I leave my van in the Publix parking lot beside the trail at mile zero. The trail looks like the sidewalk alongside the highway so my van is literally 20’ from the trail. I’ve left it there along with others several times with no issues. I would not recommend leaving a vehicle overnight at the first parking lot about a 1/2 mile away. They might even tow it.

The two most popular hotels in Jacksonville are the Hampton Inn and the University Inn. I’ve stayed in the University Inn 4-5 times and I like it. It’s $25 less than the Hampton. I didn’t have any concerns about COVID with these hotels even in Smyrna. I had my mask and hand sanitizer. I wasn’t around anyone.

Cedartown has several hotel and food options. There is a fairly new BBQ restaurant in Rockmart 2 blocks from the trail. I was passing through there both days way before it opened at 11 am so I haven’t tried it.

The trail seemed like it was shaded about 75% of the way which was nice. However the trail is a lot rougher from the state line to Piedmont with tree roots pushing up on the asphalt causing some bad bumps. Lots of hills between Rockmart and Cedartown, some super steep, not Very long but probably 14%.....I was in my easiest gear and it was a grind.