Old 07-31-18, 07:08 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
1. my contribution is to use my intellect to make and deploy reasons about why and how LCF is better than car culture. This is not doing. asking they people doing what you object to is doing.
People are responsible for doing things for themselves. LCF is doing more for yourself, especially if you maintain your own bike. This is part of why it's good for children to use a bike for transportation and learn to maintain and take responsibility for it when they're young. It's better than raising them to be dependent on others doing everything for them.

2. ignorance somewhat excuses it, Accusing people you have not talked to of being ignorant is the spreading of self centered fertilizer.
You are too fixated on adjectives as insults. I was ignorant when I was young that I could ride a bike five or 10 miles across town to go someplace. It was simply not something I realized was possible. I thought you had to drive such distances and biking was only possible for a couple miles, at most. That was ignorance. It's not an insult to recognize it for what it is.

3. You can accuse me of not being enough of a 'doer,' but I am square with my conscience and doing what I can best do to pursue what I understand to be good. If that's all you're doing, then what more could anyone expect of you? Until you have looked at the object of your concern up close I simply cannot see anyone being satisfied with their self as doing their best. Until you have addressed the reasoning of why someone is doing what they are doing you are shooting in the dark. The very first time I heard this walking and cycling issue at our schools I went to the school district, as did some in the links I posted and got answers. I didn't assume their motives because I understand what assume means.
I've been to plenty of public meetings. People show up to show their faces and the information exchange is inferior to online discussion where you can read word for word what someone writes and think about it. In public meetings, people have their say and it's a lot more vague and subjective, with many distractions and limitations.