Old 09-28-17, 02:08 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,361 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Read a thread on another forum about one incident of the bottom bracket failing which then ended with the final comment announcing the recall. I think Brompton's response to these failures has been brilliant. I assume the Brompton isn't the only bike using these bottom brackets though and likely more common in mainland Europe especially Germany and wonder if other brands will be effected and recall their models. As a heavy rider with very powerful legs I've yet to have a bottom bracket fail on me like that although have replaced one or two worn sealed bottom brackets in my time, I tend to replace with Shimano. Never ever seen a *** as an option to buy.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/sh...k-bolt.217362/

Ouch!!!!

They're claiming that it isn't a safety issue. But, I was thinking more like a toasted bearing which would be a hassle to deal with, but not necessarily causing a risk of crash.

A sheared spindle could, in fact, cause a wreck, or perhaps trap a rider in the middle of an intersection.

As far as who pays, it likely is only costing Brompton maybe $20 plus labor for the recall. Probably well below their profit margin on the bikes. But, they'll probably be hitting the manufacturer for at least a portion of the expenses.

Heck, it wouldn't be surprising if Shimano kicked in some cash (discounts). It never hurts to make their competitors look bad.

Last edited by CliffordK; 09-28-17 at 02:44 AM.