Old 11-03-17, 09:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Question for you folks...I'm building up another bike (thought I was done???). I'm getting an Ultegra 6800 11 sp 46/36 crank/groupset and plan to replace the 36 with a 34. I plan to use an 11-34 Shimano cassette for starters. If I find that I need one more easier gear, does anyone know if an 11-36 SRAM mountain bike cassette will work with the Ultegra stuff?? The 36 will get me 25.5 gear inches vs 27.0 with the 34/34 which isn't a lot but it's something. I've run stuff like that together on 10 speed before with no issues-but I was using an XTR deraillleur. If needed I can add the wolflink for clearance on the 36 as well. I had to do that on the time trial bike when I added a 12-30 cassette with a short cage derailleur.

If all else fails I can always go with a 46/30 crankset but that will be more $$$.

Super excited about the new bike. It will open up all kinds of unpaved roads. Thanks for your thoughts.

I run a Niner RLT 9 RDO with Ultegra 11 speed 6870 Di2, GS mid cage derailleur, 50/34 cranks and a SRAM PG-1170 (Force) 11-36 cassette.See posts 76, 128 and 137.

It shifted perfectly for 1200 miles. I make no guarantee that the same will be true of your bike but it worked fine on mine.

The B screw had to be turned almost all the way in and it is almost past the edge of the derailleur hanger. It can be reversed so that the head is against the derailleur hanger if necessary and I would not have hesitated even in the face of having to remove the derailleur to adjust the B screw. It's just more work that way. Particular attention has to be paid to chain length.

I used past tense "worked" because it has recently started skipping on the rear cassette when shifting to smaller sprocket under power. A Shimano 105 replacement chain was used to save a few dollars but an Ultegra chain seems to have resolved the issue. Time and a good long test ride will tell. I don't think the SRAM cassette plays nice with a 105 chain.

Feel free to PM me and ask any questions. I have a wolftooth roadlink if you find you need one.

Keeping it on topic - I might go with a Sugino OX91D 46/30 crankset because North Georgia has 2 mile climbs at 8% average grade.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-03-17 at 09:13 PM.