Old 08-01-19, 09:40 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Where I feel torquing has most value is when you have two bolts clamping the same piece of metal and want even pressure across those two bolts.
Thank you. That was a game changer. That would make complete sense, but I just never put 2 and 2 together.

Think stem bolts, faceplate bolts, and even those little Shimano crank-arm bolts.
Yes, now I would see how these would be the most valued places and if I had one handy, the places I would focus on now.

When a torque wrench isn't handy, I'll pay extra attention to the amount of hand pressure on the multiple bolts involved in, for example, a stem face plate. I try to keep the tightening pressure even across all four.
I am doing this without realizing for "torque" reasons. When I put the crank arm on, I tighten each bolt a 1/4 turn at a time to stay in synch. Do the same thing with stem. Haven't really touched the other spots we are talking about, but this post brought everything into focus, so thanks.

I will do without a torque wrench if one isn't handy, and will use one when it is convenient. I own three of them, so it's usually convenient unless I'm out somewhere.
I don't know if you tour, but do you carry one on long tours or would you for very long ones? Like if you were doing a tour from Alaska to South America kind of trip...would a torque wrench be in your arsenal? My guess is "no" but I would like to know what you would say.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-01-19 at 10:04 AM.