View Single Post
Old 11-07-19, 03:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
That is certainly not a very good way to repair that dropout.

1. I would remove a little more paint from the area than they did. Any possible contaminants near the weld area could cause failures in the weld.
2. Stick welding is not an appropriate way to repair that dropout. It will hold ok if you do a good job, but a professional welder would choose TIG welding for thin metal repairs. The other problem with stick welding is that there are a lot of sparks and slag produced during welding. The guy in the video did nothing to prevent these hot bits of metal from damaging the paint on the rest of the frame.
3. Welding outside is a risky process. People around without adequate eye shielding can get arc flashed and there is a greater risk of electrocution when arc welding. The grounding method through a bolt in the dropout was clever but besides that this is a hack job. The fact that he's welding on top of a stack of cardboard is also laughable.
4. There was no attempt to fixture the dropouts such that welding doesn't affect alignment. At the very least use a dummy axle, if not a full-fledged fixture, to keep the dropouts parallel!
That is a smaller rod than I've seen used around here. So, not at all "farm welding".

I agree, it could have used a little more cleaning. But, I'm not hearing any splattering or popping. Everything looks like a good clean weld.

One option that people talk about is wrapping wet rag around heat sensitive areas like the chainstay.

The guy isn't even wearing leathers.

Yeah, a slight fire risk to the pallets and cardboard, but it likely would have been localized and easily extinguished.

How did humans ever survive with the potentially damaging sun in the sky? We should all be blind by age 5!!!

That location looks relatively isolated. The arc flash isn't significantly dangerous as long as people don't look at it for a sustained time.

Wind can be an issue outside, but perhaps less of a problem using flux. Nonetheless, outside is better to avoid welding fumes.

Contrast to this guy.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-bikeshop.html

He does some grinding and welding about halfway through the video, apparently without any eye protection. And, wow, those welds!!!