Old 07-08-19, 10:27 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
re: FSA vs. Shimano. Please pardon my ignorance as I'm just getting into cycling after a 30 year absence.

I just bought a Cannondale Supersix Evo Disc Ultegra Di2 2018 on clearance (new). It comes with, according to Cannondale's site "Cannondale Si, BB30a, w/ FSA Rings, 52/36". It's been tuned by my LBS. The back shifts like a dream. The front shifts well most of the time, but on rare occasions it does hiccup and fail to catch. Not regular enough for me to think it's an alignment problem, just rare enough to be annoying for a the cost of the bike.

So if I'm reading this thread correctly, it seems most agree that Shimano's Ultegra crank is superior to FSA and would reduce this issue? If so then I'm thinking of buying the FC-R8000.

Since I'm a shorter rider (5'7" with 30" inseam) I'm thinking of also going to a more compact 50/34 (which matches what I have on my Trek FX S6) and maybe a shorter crankarm length of 170mm or 165mm (based on my height/inseam and some web research).

Thoughts and advice welcome!