Old 07-03-08, 07:12 AM
Triguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All right I have another free minute or two....

I did the calculations, and my saddle dropped .75cm when I moved my seat from an approxiamate 81 to 77. In the middle of both our guesses.

Lets get one thing strait, CdA is how aerodynamics are measured and it is Coefficient of drag multiplied by Frontal Area. Or alternately, drag force at a certain speed. Your suggestions, angle of arms(which effects frontal area), is not in the measurement of Aerodynamics(it's not Cd, and it's not A) its a variable in position aerodynamics and an important one that has an effect on both Cd and A.

Frontal area is huge in the world of aerodynamics, because it's the one variable anyone can measure! This is because the human body's position on a bicycle will have a coefficient of drag around .6-.7(and in general smoothe rolled in shoulder, and a low head position help the most with this), this is large but an unmeasurable variable(unless of course you have time and a powermeter). However, frontal area can range in great amounts, as much as 15%(about the same as Cd). However, to measure my FA all I need is black clothes and a white background and a little time.

You know whats great about what Steve Hed and Discovery's findings about Lance? It's not N=1 anymore. They have applied the principles to Ekimov, Leipheimer and many of the High Roads team members. All of whom have great success at time trials, many of whom can get lower than lance but first, they get narrow.

As far as my steep riding position, I ran fine off the bike with it. Usually top run split but the ability to sit on ones ass bones instead of ones taint is a much finer choice.

You know why I think I'm right? I say it's up to the individual. You say we all should be doing things the same way, which even Dan Empfield doesn't say. I think more consideration should be given to the bike-run combination than what works for most people. People should consider their run first, what fatigues on them easily and what muscles are they using in their stride. If people get big time hamstring fatigue running, great power away at 80*. However, if you do a track workout and your quads are screaming at you, maybe you want to save that part of your leg for the run and move your seat back.