View Single Post
Old 01-22-18, 01:01 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Not just a masters question. I'm a decent TTer, son and wife are outstanding. I've been playing with this 30 years.
Net is, it depends.

Of course your setup on the bike matters. Part of this is the fore/aft seat position. In a more roadie position longer cranks can really close that hip angle (not wanted for a long power stroke). On the TT/seat forward, if the rider also uses a higher seat (they should) than road, the hips can be as open with longer cranks in the power area. And if they have a shorter power-on stroke, that matters even less.

I have a smoother stroke and am fine with shorter cranks. Wife likes a bit longer cranks. Son longer cranks yet.

For junior, we subscribe to the stomp theory for TTs - power comes in a staccato stomp/tic tic tic tic from 3-oclock to 5-oclock. So the "longer" 172.5, or 175 work well. As there is no more requirement for junior gears and higher cadence might go to the 175mm. I had a similar discussion yesterday with another ex-junior/pro who has decreased cadence. This is in contrast to a track-like spinner (or me) who is putting power over longer arc.

So while I (a smooth circle peddler) would notice a dead spot near the top, a stomper would not.
Masters tend to have lower cadence. I think that is due to lower cardio top end (max HR) that the higher cadence takes, or maybe it is that 11T, but masters are lower based on observation.

I'm not convinced someone should change pedaling styles, or not. But the position, crank length and style should be taken together.

If you are playing around with things also try changing the power arc - so smooth power on/spin vs the stomp.

Last edited by Doge; 01-22-18 at 03:21 PM.