View Single Post
Old 03-16-20, 02:12 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I wear conventional cycling garb, ie: bib shorts* and cycling jersey. I've worn it weighing as much as 290 lbs, and wear it at the 255 (and falling) that I'm at right now. My goal is to break around 230 this year, finally, after porpoising up and down between 260-290 or so constantly throughout the last ten years.

Some of the 3XL cycling garb I've worn in the past is starting to be a little loose on me at 255 (mainly my long-sleeved and long-legged cool weather set), while other sets were tight on me before and more comfortable now.

I'm not too worried about my appearance. Yeah, I'm an unconventional cyclist who's not rail thin. I just don't care. Could be I'm too chunky to be wearing cycling garb out in public, but since I'm not out there trying to attract a mate (the one I've had for 29 years still suits me) I just don't care if the 20somethings out there think I'm fat on my bike. The comfort and wind resistance benefits are worth it.

ETA: The above is 100% for road cycling. I used to wear more conventional shorts and t-shirts and whatnot when mountain biking, but the last few times I mountain biked I just wore my road cycling garb. I know that sticks in the craw of the conventional mountain bikers, who want to be different somehow, but f*** em. I like wearing the road bib shorts/jersey combo on my MTB for the same reasons I like it on the road.

*if nobody has mentioned this so far in this thread, especially for heavy riders bib shorts, as opposed to non-bib cycling shorts, are mandatory. Nobody wants to see your butt crack hanging out while riding behind you. Bib shorts eliminate that as a possibility. Oh, and don't get white bibs, because they eliminate that possibility, uh, somewhat less than other colors do. :-)

Last edited by SethAZ; 03-16-20 at 02:21 AM.
Likes For SethAZ: