Old 03-17-14, 05:20 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
For a TT/RR I personally like to warm up on the roads around. Ive even done loops around a parking lot. Others prefer a trainer, but is not much of an option when you travel. I rarely see rollers at a TT warm up, but see lots of trainers.

Im looking to travel for racing a bit more this summer, particularly track, so interested in hear what people do since warming up for track has less options. Im one of those people that has no problem asking to use someone's rollers though (or not asking )
I've seen people at track events use their road bike to warmup by riding through the neighborhood. But, traveling to a track event with a road bike is more drama than taking a trainer.

I've heard of people taking normal mag trainers and rollers on to airplanes and putting them in overhead bins, but I've never done it myself.

I don't think there is an obvious answer here. I know it sucks to go to a big event and be subject to madness on the track when 50 people are doing various efforts of god-knows-what. I've seen it all:

- People cruising at 15mph in the sprinters lane 2-abreast chatting
- People on road bikes
- People going 40mph weaving through traffic yelling
- I even witnessed one coach at a National event on the track explaining with "Stick and Stay" means to one of his athletes (also on the track) who had never been on the track before...but she was competing that week.
- The 30 person paceline train.
- The simultaneous 10 person paceline train.

Paying a few extra dollars to travel with rollers or a trainer doesn't sound like a bad idea