Old 02-27-17, 01:02 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
I actually think a Garmin 500 (or 520 if buying new) works quite well for rando navigation where you are only trying to follow a predefined course.
If it works for you, great.

Still, having a map make it much easier to understand what you are looking at. And the units that have maps have better (bigger) screens.

Maps can also help you when you can go off course.

No I don't get pre-turn cues when using a tcx file from rwgps on my 500. I actually don't miss having those. The scrolling cue sheet page is all I really need.
The "cue sheet" page is the list of "control points". The control points should pop-up on the 500/510 when you are close to (more or less, at) the turn. Because these are very position dependent, you might not always get them. Very early in the use of my 800, I thought these were post-turn confirmations because I routinely got them after I made the turn!

Ridewithgps has an option (for paid subscribers) to move the course points earlier in the track. That way, the course-points should pop-up ahead of the turn. This makes them more useful but one might not get all of them.

Sounds like the paper cue sheet wasn't very good at cueing the turn in those instances, or perhaps you weren't using it. If you don't follow the paper cue sheet, it does put a priority on having the best GPS you can get, complete with good mapping and such.
Even good cuesheets can have problems (it's part of the "charm" of using cuesheets.

The "best GPS you can get" is cheap compared to the cost/time of training and equipment. The extra cost is well worth not having to read cuesheets (and look for street signs).

A used 800 is $150 and very good. I'd strongly recommend a unit with maps.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-27-17 at 02:22 PM.