Old 11-22-19, 04:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Recovery time after severe crash
Originally Posted by zjrog
Now, I have no memory of this... Still. Or the next few days. I earned a helicopter ride though. I had the following, cracked C1, 2 and 3 vertebra, burst fracture T9, but damage to the T7, 8 and 10. 4 broken ribs. …

It took me 2 years to even get on a bicycle. And even that was in the safety of inside a bike store. It took another year to ride outdoors
Originally Posted by 1AvidCyclistCat
Wow zjrog brother you have boosted my hope for recovery and return to cycling sports by leaps and bounds: exceedingly inspiring accident story from beginning to end.

I appreciate your nurturing encouragement as a fellow avid cyclist and for taking the time to share your experiences with me.
Originally Posted by zjrog
I'm glad you got so much from that. I've had so many other issues to keep me off a bike in between things, I've become fond of saying I don't know if I'm too stubborn or stupid to know when to stay down.

This past summer has been my best time on a bike in years, I'm not ready to give it up. At worst, I'll be on a tadpole recumbent trike..
Originally Posted by 1AvidCyclistCat
Yaiks! You are the Maximus Spartacus of middle Agee’s cyclists. Embrace our injuries as memory treasures of wonderful cycling adventures honor!...
Not to interrupt this Mutual Admiration Society, but as I was reading this thread it occurred to me that all these accounts are of successful recovery and we’ll not hear of those who have left cycling (or this earth) after their incidents.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...That’s quite a detailed description of the crash, and medical follow-up. I’m replying not to one-up your experience, but since you asked.

I too lost conciousness briefly,
Originally Posted by Thomas15
As others have said I'm not retelling my story to one-up anyone.
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Wow, so many of you have been through hell.
I get the sense that like military veterans we too are reliving unforgettable traumas, and are proud of our sucesses.
I’m replying further, not with medical advice per se, but from a sucessful recovery based on sound medical advice…

I write not to dwell on my experience, but hopefully to advise and encourage you or others, and frankly for the satisfaction of reviewing that life-changing event and recovery for myself.
I describe my riding experience as a cycling lifestyle (of 40 years).

I once listed as my credentials: a carbon fiber bike, year-round cycle-commuting, a cross-country tour, and a serious car-bike accident.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-22-19 at 07:56 AM.