Old 11-22-19, 02:53 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by 1AvidCyclistCat
Ogsarg, some friends ask me time after time if I was indeed riding a MOTOR-cycle, since it takes high levels of trauma force to fracture a scapula. Did you suffer any permanent deficits or did you loose consciousness?
The surgeon that worked on me said the same thing about the Scapula. Told me mine was the worst she had seen. I did lose consciousness but only for a short time and initially did not realize that I had. When I first stood up I couldn't see which was a little scary. It was like looking at the sun, just saw brilliant white. It was several minutes before my eyesight came back.

As far as long term consequences go, I have no functional impairment in terms of range of motion or strength or anything like that, but things did not all heal in the correct place so my upper torso is not symmetrical from one side to the other. Not noticeable with a shirt on fortunately. I also have a metal strap across my clavicle and a boat load of screws to hold it in place. Oddly enough, all that metal has yet to set off a metal detector at an airport and I've been through dozens of them.