View Single Post
Old 11-23-19, 11:29 AM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
July 2012... cycling with family, eastbound out of NoName, Colorado, just East of Glenwood, along the Colorado River on bike path. Sunday morning, beautiful. For once, bringing up the rear. Did a 90* under the overpasses, slowed down to a crawl, then the other 90*, came upon a section of concrete, unmarked, that sank, hit what felt like a curb, did not have the momentum to cross, stalled, came out of my cleats, backwards, crashed down on my sacrum. Immediate pain, laid there for minutes, in shock, checked, could move feet, family came back, needed twenty minutes, to basically get helped up, actually ride my back back down river, slumped over, waited all day for Sunday's traffic back to Denver to dissipate. Loaded me into 4Runner, strapped me in, drove back to Denver. Pain that night, tough to take, lucky for me had previous script Percoset, some relief. Called Doc, got in for exam, xrays and follow up MRI... fractured T12 and L2. Could barely lay down, walk... pain intense, constant. After one week, began to walk, could go 100 feet first day. Every day, little more...

Six months later, I was back walking and riding and hiking well... But the pain, still is with me 7.5 years later. I spin, ride and hike and when the pain returns, have to take on occasion, prescription anti inflammatory, sometimes prescribed low dose straight oxy, I stretch, on foam roller, soak, etc.

Bottom line... at least grateful and thankful no paralysis. With age, now 67, even in fine condition, nerve channels are narrowing, arthritis in lower back... the pain subsides on occasion, but WILL NEVER GO AWAY.

So... recovery... yes. Side effects from accident... unfortunately remain.
Likes For Climb14er: