View Single Post
Old 05-06-19, 07:52 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101

The Urbano is 6066, but the Forte is 6061. No big deal IMO. The Forte is also using the same freewheel that I'll be using on my Origami Wasp,,...the DNP 11-28T 7 speed freewheel. Sounds good to me,...
6066 is a more advanced aluminium than 6061 it is much stronger so allows the frame to be lighter. It is the premium aluminium used by Merida who are probably the second best large scale bicycle frame manufacturer in the world after Giant. That isn't to say this is a Merida frame of course just making the point it is a very good premium aluminium.

According to their site data the Forte has a cassette but like you I thought that when it was introduced it mentioned an actual freewheel so wonder if they have swopped it now to a stronger cassette. We totally disagree about freewheels vs cassettes as a heavy rider I have destroyed a few freewheels in my time, bent a few axles and had the annoyance of constantly adjusting derailleurs because of freewheel wobble, they are junk components in my opinion best avoided but have used sub Shimano cassettes with success although often they don't last as long but that depends on what Shimano cassette you are comparing them to. We will agree to disagree there but the Forte is using a cassette according to the number given on their site. It is this one so the bike has a freehub and cassette and not a screw on freewheel. Maybe they have done a little upgrade. The euromini site clearly states both freewheels and cassettes for different bikes and now states cassette for the Forte. It is not a site that seems to be confused or manipulative with regard freewheels and cassettes. However I notice the Via has a cassette as well which makes me wonder if they have upgraded to freehub's on the sly so not to annoy previous customers, I thought the Via or the bike at that price level previously (can't remember if it was called a Via) had a freewheel. The only bike in their range with a freewheel now is the Campo.

https://www.euromini.bike/shop-forte