Old 07-30-20, 02:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've ridden the same passes in the same temperature range with and without a base layer, and NO, a base layer does NOT keep me cooler. What it does, is dehydrate me at a much higher rate. Base layer advocacy for hot weather makes no sense. The base layer is an insulator, just like it is in cool weather. There's no difference. The fact that I dehydrate faster doesn't mean that I get a greater cooling effect. Were that true, no one would wear one in cool weather. The outside of my jersey will probably be cooler than if the jersey were touching my body, but it's not touching. Instead, it's separated by an insulating layer. And of course water evaporates more slowly from a cooler surface. What happens in that both my base layer and jersey become totally soaked to where I could wring water out of them. My skin tight jersey alone feels dry when I take it off at the end of a ride. That's how fast a good technical fabric touching both skin and atmosphere can transfer and evaporate water. Light color makes a big difference, too. I prefer a light yellow. Dark colors are just nuts. Put your hand on a black car and a white car.
​​​​​​Most people wear heavy (250 - 400 gsm) base layers in the winter, medium ones in the shoulder seasons, and light (silk weight) ones in summer. My summer ones are 75 gsm. So no it's not the same. In cold weather you use clothes to trap air near your skin to retain heat, in hot weather you use clothes to distribute your sweat over a wider area and to block the sun.

Gsm = grams per square meter.
Likes For Seattle Forrest: