Old 08-10-19, 08:38 PM
ttusomeone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ttusomeone
FWIW, you can't compare the suction cups that hold your phone with the high-grade suction cups on SeaSucker racks. I've used their racks before with no issues, and I'd put them in the category of short term use rather than long term use, since you are only using them for a few hours at a time before at least checking the suction cups if not removing the rack altogether.
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
The physics are the same, air diffuses under the cup over time. There is no 100% airtight material, the molecules are just too small and the gaps between atoms too large.

Many people leave racks on the car for longer. And checking the rack before every drive is just not what people do. Heck, people are supposed to check engine oil, light and other things and never do. A bike rack should just be solidly attached without the need to re-tighten.

IMHO, a hitch rack with platforms is the very best solution. Everything else has some shortcomings.
Except in general, that's not the way people use SeaSuckers. You buy one because you want a temporary roof rack. So you're putting it on when you head out, and then check it when you get where you're going, then take it off when you get back home. When I had mine, it was never on the car for more than a day. All racks have short comings, including a hitch rack. FWIW, I had a SeaSucker for when I needed to carry more bikes than would fit on a two-bike hitch rack.