Thread: Finally! (?)
View Single Post
Old 07-26-19, 08:28 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
As I'm shifting my paradigm a little, having achieved my HW goal, I'm putting a bit more effort into riding, and doing a little upper body work at the same time.

I want to spend more time in the basement working on my bikes, too.

Yesterday morning, I took a 7.5 mile ride in a nearby neighborhood, and felt horribly sluggish. I figured that, since I'd ridden Jake and Martin some (JtS and LHT), the Montague's weight and fat tires were just making themselves known.
However, when I was getting ready for last night's Trample ride, I put the pump on, and found I'd only been running about 20 psi. Oops. Yeah, mea culpa there.
The bike and I did well on the ride. While it was a casual group ride or about 17 miles, with a lot of stops (no drop ride), on the return leg, I joined up with the usual breakaway group, and kept up.
Wow... this heavy folding bike, with 2" Cityhopper tires, driven by my long-neglected legs, was keeping up with a bunch of younger riders on their road bikes.
One thing that moved me ahead in even this pack... a section of cobbles that slowed a couple of them down. Sarge and I flew over this.

The downside, for me, was my complete lack of social skills. I'm the awkward guy you see standing around by himself while everyone else is talking and laughing.

As to my tinkering hankering:
Using a gift card I got for my birthday, this past Wednesday, I ordered a stem adapter (1" to 1 1/8"), stem, and riser bar for the Cannondale M500. The frame size is fine, but with the short stem and trekking bar, it's just too cramped for me. I'm also tempted to get some 520 levers and a drop bar, but that's maybe a future project.

The Ramp Rat doesn't merit much expense, being an old hi-ten road bike, but I do like it, and it has served well. I figure I'll put some gearing back on it, fenders, etc. I want to keep a classic look, so if/when I do a tweed run, it won't be too out of place.

Jake's new brifters have arrived. I just need to get 'em on and get him out on the road. I think that's all that's left on my Kona to do, unless/until I decide to do a complete upgrade.

Anyway, just wanted to toss an update of what I'm up to here. I still have a little over 40 lbs for my non-HW personal goal, but even where I am now feels MUCH better than where I was last Summer.