Old 09-12-19, 12:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Bluetooth Low Energy and ant+ are data transmission protocols...Meaning that they are not proprietary. I'm no expert, but I think this means that, if you list a device as BTLE or as ant+ (and most HRMs and such are one, the other, or both), then it has to work with other devices which use the same protocol.

In other words, brands don't matter.
Kind of an academic discussion but ANT+ is actually proprietary.

Proprietary has to do with property. ANT+ is entirely owned by Dynastream Innovations which is owned by Garmin. The protocol is their property to do with as they please. This is the definition of proprietary.

ANT+ is licensed. Some licenses such as evaluation use, are free. The owners of ANT+ however, charge fees to developers to implement ANT+ in software for revenue generating purposes, charge licensing fees to chip makers who put ANT+ on their chips and charge fees to certify devices and software. I'm also not an expert and only know the basics of how this works.

BTLE is open source but the fact that one or the other is open source vs proprietary doesn't make one better than the other apart from cost.

Interoperablity of either is not guaranteed. I could pay the licensing fee for ANT+ or download a software development kit for BTLE, write cruddy code, stick it on a device and sell it to cyclists all over the world. That's the nature of all software today and why I asked about Garmin GPS and Wahoo sensor interoperablity. I'd like to think that the two biggest players would interoperate well but it isn't a given and knowing that at least one other person does it sets my mind at ease.

-Tim-