Thread: Why'd I bonk?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-19, 06:32 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: Early 90's Ochsner road, 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 1989? Fuji Ace, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 261 Posts
I had a bonk one morning back in August during a heat wave. I was riding early morning with a friend who is a strong rider. My normal fuel and fluid routine. I did not feel right from the beginning but tried to push through it. I requested a stop in some shade for a couple of minutes a couple of times. 26 miles in, and 6 miles from home, I felt like I just could not push the pedals anymore, feeling so bad I did not think I would be able to finish. We stopped for about 10 minutes in the shade and I sipped water the whole time. I started to feel a bit better and, fortunately, we had a tail wind the last 6 to home. Once at home, my friend rode on to get himself home, I got some cold apple juice and a p and j sandwich. I sat down in my recliner and next thing I woke up just over an hour later, feeling alright but a bit groggy. I did not figure out what happened until the next day. I was checking my email and there was a thank you message from the local blood bank for the double red blood cells I had given 5 days earlier. Well crap, no wonder I had that episode. I had totally forgotten about it. I will not repeat that mistake.