terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by sanmateoclimber View Post
I think my next goal is going to be to do this ride at a deliberately slow pace, with no other objective than to get through it smoothly and enjoy the scenery.
I think that's a good strategy. When I try a tough route for the first time, I make a conscious effort to do all the climbs at a moderate pace.

Today I climbed West Alpine for the first time in ages, so I could check it off my list of "climbs that scare me". I took it easy. It was tough in spots where the grade was 10-14%, but it didn't wipe me out.

EDIT: And regarding feeling sick during a ride, maybe my experiences can help. I recall all the events when I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. The causes differed, but the sensation was the same:

1. Dehydration, usually on hot rides--but not always. I felt awful after the Muholland Challenge, even though it was cool weather, because I rode the last 25 miles without water (last rest station wasn't open when I got there).

2. High temperature. Climbing the back side of Mount Hamilton when it was over 110 in the shade (but there was no shade).

3. Hyponatremia (inadequate sodium). Managed that trick at Climb to Kaiser on a record hot day. I drank lots but didn't take in enough salt. Ended up in the emergency room.

Last edited by terrymorse; 09-22-19 at 07:07 PM. Reason: added info about feeling sick on a ride