Old 12-03-19, 08:29 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
WD40 is better as a lubricant than it is at displacing water. It’s chemical composition is completely nonpolar. It also contains about 25% mineral oil which remains after the solvent evaporates.

You are incorrect in thinking that the WD50 will flush out any thing that will dissolved in water. It simply doesn’t have the capacity to dissolve the water based material. The lubricant in WD40 isn’t all that different from any oil that you could put into a freewheel.

Work on trying to get the freewheel working but don’t spend a whole lot of time on it. Freewheels are cheap.
All those who said frozen/gunked pawls were the issure were correct. It was milder yesterday. I was going to spray jigaloo to use pressure to penetrate. I decided just for shiggles to spin the pedals forward. The pawls were working just fine.😀 That means either the ice in there melted or the gunk thinned. I looked where you would apply lubricant and it was filthy. The jigaloo washed that off right down to the metal. After riding my baby today I will spray more jigaloo,ride it the next day then apply a true penetrating lubricant.